Guide to Khata Registration in Bangalore
Khata is relevant when applying for a building or trading license, applying for a loan from any bank or financial institution. Khata is an account that includes all the particulars of the property, such as the name of the owner, the size of the houses, the location of the property and all other information that help to file the property tax. The following is a reference to the registration of Khata.
- Application for Khata: Get a Khata application form (costs Rs. 10) plus copies of 5 documents (improvement receipt, receipt of the latest property tax charged, building penalty note, title certificate, design sketch). It can be reached online or at any BBMP office.
- Request for Encumbrance Certification (EC): submit an EC request (Form-22) free of charge at the sub-registrar’s office. It should be for at least a year. The price of the EC shall be Rs. 35 for one year. After a day or two, you’ll need to go back to collect the EC. One must carry a copy of the sales report when applying for EC.
- Obtain Notarized copy of documents: Get Notarized of the following Sale deed, Form II (if you have), Possession Certificate (if you have), GPA (if used), and fill up the form – green and pink.
- Upload the application: Add the application to the notarized documents, EC, receipt of the latest property tax, plan of the apartment along with the specific documents and upload it to the local ARO office. Get a pink receipt with the submission number, stamped and signed by the respective officer.
- Follow up: go back after 15 days to check your score. Keep doing this until you get a demand message. The request note indicates the amount you need to pay as a Khata registration fee.
- Property assessment: When you send an application to Khata, the BBMP Revenue In-charge and the Assistant Revenue Officer must personally visit the property to examine the property. Once the property is measured, BBMP officially discloses the size of the property (in square feet), its value as per the valuation of the BBMP and its tax liability.
- Pay registration fee: Submit the DDs as per the demand note to ARO Office and get a stamped acknowledgement. Once you get acknowledgement, it means the process has begun. The administration fee or demand note amount is two per cent on the stamp paper value. Most people confuse this to be two per cent of the property value mentioned in the sale deed. The demand note is issued in batches. So do co-ordinate with others in your building whose names are in the demand note to get all the DDs.
- Follow up: Go back after 15 days to check the status.
- Khata notification:Check the notification to see that your name is spelt correctly and other information like area of flat, car park, and so on are correct. Take the Khata notification to the ARO office with an application requesting issue of Khata certificate (pay Rs. 25) and Khata extract (pay Rs. 100).
- Khata Registration:Once you pay the Khata Registration fee, in about 1-2 weeks, one receives the notice for paying the pending property tax. Without this the Khata Extract will not be issued in your name. But if you have reached this point it means Khata has been technically registered on your name.
Follow up is important for successfully registering your Khata and getting your Khata Certificate. In case any BBMP official demands money apart from the Khata registration fee and cost of application form, you can lodge a complaint with the concerned Revenue Officer. Do not involve middle men for Khata registration. Approach senior BBMP officials at the zonal level if you counter any problems.
If you don’t get any response from BBMP after 2-3 months, file “Right to Information (RTI) application” to seek information on status of Khata registration. There is no prescribed form for application seeking information. However, the application should have name and complete postal address of the applicant. The application can be made on plain paper. The applicant is not required to give any reason for seeking information. In case of rejection of your application, applicant would be informed the reasons for rejection.