Legal advice on Divorce If You’re going through a Divorce
Although divorce is common in our society, people often rely on their lawyers to educate them about the entire divorce process. There’s nothing wrong with that, because lawyers are supposed to be counseling and advising clients.
However, thanks to the Internet, information on divorce is available at our fingertips. We should all, therefore, take advantage of this information and educate ourselves to our own advantage.
While undergoing a divorce, you might find these legal tips helpful:
- Keep the communication line open with your partner. Clear communication can complicate matters such as custody, division of property and spousal support. This only prolongs the divorce process, making it even more difficult for both sides.
- Be sure to report all of your property and assets. Not doing so could hurt the chances of finding a settlement and contribute to further legal proceedings.
- Ask your lawyer, spouse, and spouse as many questions as possible to avoid any surprises.
- Do not complicate custody or visitation arrangements for your children. Every confusion may be deemed by the court to be disrespectful of the court’s orders. This, in effect, can adversely affect your situation.
- Do not marry during the divorce proceedings. A third party will only complicate any existing legal proceeding.
- During your divorce, do not sell any major assets. Such actions only complicate the proceedings and make it more likely that your action will be taken for some ulterior motive.