Legal Metrology Certificate
The Legal metrology certificate is a process for the state oversight of measuring equipment. As measuring equipment, a measuring instrument, a measuring system or a standard is defined as that which fulfils the task of measurement with a specified measurement accuracy.
Legal Metrology Act
Legal Metrology Act, 2009. An Act to establish and enforce standards of weights and measures, regulate trade and commerce in weights, measures and other goods which are sold or distributed by weight, measure or number and for matters connected there with or incidental thereto.
What is meant by legal metrology?
Legal metrology means that part of metrology which treats units of weighments and measurement, methods of weighments and measurement and weighing and measuring instruments, in relation to the mandatory technical and legal requirements which have the objects of ensuring public guarantee from the point of view of security and accuracy of the weighments and measurements.
The Department of Legal Metrology is a regulatory Department. It is responsible for maintaining uniformity and accuracy in all weights and measures, weighing and measuring Instruments used by traders in all hats, markets and trading centres in the State
Purpose of Legal Metrology
Applied, technical or industrial metrology is concerned with the application of measurement to manufacturing and other processes and their use in society, ensuring the suitability of measurement instruments, their calibration and quality control. The objective of Legal Metrology is to ensure public guarantee from the point of view of security and accuracy of the weighments and measurements.
Functions of the Legal Metrology
- Director, Legal Metrology is a statutory authority with powers and responsibilities prescribed under the Act, 2009 relating to inter-state trade and commerce of weights and measures including pre-packaged commodities.
- Director, Legal Metrology is also responsible for establishing standards of Legal Metrology and maintaining traceability of Standards relating to it.
- The primary responsibilities of the Director are in the nature of Regulation, Enforcement and Research, Regulation and Enforcement functions to undertake technical field inspections, searches, seizures, registration of offices and launching prosecutions.
- Precision & accuracy in measurement plays very vital role in day to day life. A transparent and efficient legal metrology system inspires confidence in trade, industry and consumer and brings harmonious environment for conducting business by way of contribution to the economy of the country by increasing the revenue in various sectors playing important role in reducing the revenue losses in the coal, mines, industries, petroleum, railways reduction of the loss and wastage in the infrastructure sector. The work performed is vital to the public interest.
Legal Metrology Certificate
Each different model of a measuring and weighing instrument falling under the “Legal Metrology” purview must obtain a Model Approval from the “Central Department”. Central Legal Metrology Department may grant an approval to the respective instrument/device models. Upon approval, the model of the instrument is assigned a unique code to mention this code on labels /certificates affixed upon each instrument sold by the manufacturer or importer.
Verification And Stamping
The State Legal Metrology (Enforcement) Rules, 2010, every approved weighing and measuring instrument is required to be stamped either by the State Officer or respective District Legal Metrology Inspectors. Under the Act 2009, the concerned officer must test and verify an instrument to meeting the established standards. Upon verification, a stamp specifying the year and its quarter is placed on every verified instrument. Upon completion of the verification and stamping process, the concerned officer must issue a certificate of verification in accordance with Schedule VIII of the Legal Metrology Act 2009.
Affixing labels on the measuring instruments is necessary, and manufacturing and printing of these labels can be a difficult and time consuming tasks. A delay in finding stamping and verification certificates from the Legal Metrology Department or from local vendors can result in a drop in sales.
Documents Required for the Legal Metrology Registration Procedure
Documents for Registration as Manufacturer
- Photographs, Identity and Address proof of the applicant/partners.
- Ownership or tenancy document of the proposed premises.
- Location map.
- Copy of GST Registration and PAN
- Partnership deed, in case of partnership firms.
- Model approval certificate, issued by the Director, Legal Metrology, Government of India.
- No objection Certificate from pollution control Board, especially in Taj Trapezium zone.
- List of machinery and tools.
- Affidavit to state that applicant would adhere to the Legal provisions and the directions issued by the Controller.
- Affidavit to state that applicant had neither been punished by any Court nor is any criminal proceeding pending in any court.
- Registration document of factory/shop/establishment/municipal trade license, as the case maybe
License For Dealer In Weights And Measures
- Identity & Residential Proof.
- Two Passport size.
- Letter of Consent from the Manufacturer who wish to appoint you as a Dealer
- Manufacturing License if you intend to import weights & measures from outside the State.
- Model Approval Certificate of weights and measures to be deal with.
- Documentary proof of ownership / Lease agreement of Premises.
- GST Registration / Professional Tax / Labour Licence
Documents For Repairer In Weights And Measures
- Identity proof.
- Two Passport size
- Certificate of Registration of Industry
- GST Registration Certificate.
- Professional Tax Registration Certificate
- Valid Labour Licence.
- NOC from Competent Authority.
- Document proof of Ownership / Lease Agreement of Premises.
- Constitution in case of proprietorship / partnership firm.
- Employee Copies of Appointment Letters with photographs, Qualification and Experience Certificate, if any;
- Machineries, Tools and Accessories list with purchase bill.
- Test weights purchase bill in case of new Verification Certificate.
Renewal of Manufacturer Licences
Documents for Renewal of Manufacturer Licences
- Every application for Renewal of Manufacturer Licences shall be submitted in a prescribed form (Form LM – 2) with the following attested documents.
- Original Manufacturer Licence.
- GST Registration.
- Professional Tax Registration.
- Labour Licence.
- Verification Certificate of Test weights.
- Valid Trading Licence in case of Non-tribal.